30 April, 2010

Droid Incredible

    I ended up turning my phone off last night so I would stop playing with the damn thing. 

    I set it to use our WiFi, while at home, and it uses the 3G network while out and about.  I expected the WiFi to be blazingly fast -- and it is -- but was surprised at how quick the 3G network is.  Had I not been watching for it, I'd not have noticed the difference. 

    The user interface is virtually instantaneously responsive, utilizing the HTC Sense interface (a skin for Droid).  [The interface is so useful that I've read a few reviews where the authors, after having played with it, have hacked their existing Droid devices to utilize it.]  The 8 mega pixel camera responds quickly, although I would have liked a dedicated camera button in the "top" (spine) position.  It took a bit of practice to come up with a way to hold the device to get a shake-free squeeze.

    Verizon threw in a 2GB MicroSD card, which was a pleasant surprise that I didn't expect.  My guess is they did that because downloaded apps do not notice the internal 8GB memory, as storage, per one of the reviews I read.  I have a 4GB card, from my old phone, that I'll move in when I get the chance to copy the data from the 2GB card to it, via my PC.  The phone supports MicroSD cards up to 32GB.

    According to sites this morning, it sold out yesterday (day #1) and may not be back in stores for a week or two.  It's even sold out on Verizon's site.  My wife was at the Verizon store when they opened yesterday and bought our two.  When I picked mine up, over lunch, the sales clerk said their remaining 8 were being picked up by a business man.  Thus, I think it was more a matter of stores having a small stock than having a major run.  When I was there, for about a half hour, no customers were there other than one who was leaving when I arrived.

    My first tasks were to download a variety of free apps, such as bar code reader-shoppers (which had me running around scanning my cupboards and gear), Google Sky Map (which gave me a sore neck and wind-blown hair, standing on my deck), and configuring my various social site apps.  Afterward I moved into becoming more familiar with the interface, and after an hour or two, I felt comfortable.  It's my first Droid device, so I gave myself a little slack.

    So far I am impressed with the phone and am glad I opted for a data package.  The browser is top-notch, and the ability to pinch the display to zoom in and out -- a feature that applies to many applications -- is totally cool.

 Links:
Its site at Verizon:  http://phones.verizonwireless.com/htc/incredible/

A review: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/19/droid-incredible-review/

Another review: http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/htc-droid-incredible-verizon/4505-6454_7-34064029.html

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have Google sky map on my T-mobile Google G1 phone. It's fun! : )

Thank you for helping "Skipper" with pc cleaning. I've ordered a medium sized zip drive so that I can hold things I wish to keep and can then reload my os. My pc has become soooooo sloooooow. Then again, it's 4 years old, or so, and therefore is an antique. lol

Thanks for the blog. I always find it amusing. : )

~ Para