24 November, 2008

Clean your Windows Registry, Delete the Temp files, Anti-Virus, etc. - Glary and AVG

Since my laptop is over four years old and running like crap, and it'd been years since I used a registry cleaner (finds orphaned files and entries and deletes them) or \Temp folder cleaner, I spent a little time last night working on it.  I found "Glary Utilities", at CNet (at http://www.download.com/Glary-Utilities/3000-2094_4-10508531.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10901284), and it sped up my old dog quite a lot.  You no doubt do not need to run it yet on your new laptop, but if your other PC is more than a year old, you might benefit from it.  You can have it run a scan before it changes anything, and it'll back out changes if something goes wrong.

That, coupled with the free AVG Anti-Virus, another download (http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10891365) and you're ready to go.  AVG found spyware that my McAfee and SpyBot hadn't even found.  Cool.


No comments: